First written in 2009, updates in 2012, 2013, 2015
Chill-out, relax, eat eat and eat, Thailand is THE place in Asia for a relaxing and value for money vacation. It has some of the best beaches in the region, soooper warm and welcoming local people, great weather for most of the year, and of course – nothing beats the Thai messages especially while sipping away your fav cocktail at the beaches. Oh, how can we forget Thai food!!! Yummy spicy crabs, prawns, Thai green curry, and lot more!
Thailand is where we’d want to time and again – its one place we never “tick off” from our bucket list – to return again!
Edit in 2014: This is the place we have been to time and again… started with Bangkok / Pattaya trip in 2009 and then came back for Samui with family in Dec-2010 and again for Phuket in 2014 (when the Mrs was preggy) and several times times for work. Thailand is undoubtedly one place in Asia where it is never too much to go again and again. And yes, we do intend to go back again, for Krabi and potentially Koh Tao for a diving course!
TRAVELLED IN: 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2015
(Click on links to see more)
- Bangkok – Had good time visiting the shopping centers, malls, temples, tiger park etc. . Ideal for casual city visit. (3-4 days are good)
- Koh Samui / Phangan – Ideal for chill-out vacation as honeymoon or family get-togethers, relaxing vacation at the beaches, hang-out with friends etc. Also famous for full moon parties especially at Christmas and New Year. Amazing beaches. (2-3 days min. for seeing the island, but we spent 7 days for a family vacation at Koh Phangan).
- Pattaya – Ideal for chill-out vacation, relaxing at the beaches, hang-out with friends (1-2 days are minimum)
- Phuket (finally in 2014 !!!) – that is THE place to be in Thailand for the beaches … whether in Patong or Mai Khao (read on to know more)
Still to see – Phuket (Yes!!!!), Koh Tao (for diving)
QUIK TIPS ABOUT THE PLACE
- Airport/transfers: Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport transit to airport is easy via prepaid cabs there. The airport is quite far from city centre most since most of the journey is via elevated expressway, its not that bad in terms of time (about 30-40min). Buses ply as well.
- Money exchange: Again, not the best rate at the airport, found many in the city.
- Language: English is quite commonly spoken, thought some cab drivers were pretending in Bangkok not to know it so as to be able to charge a few extra bucks, but can be persistent with them.
- Getting around: Cabs are easily available in Bangkok, we also tried their metro/subway/tube called BTS there which is decent. For tours at islands, best to rent cars/bikes especially in Koh Samui. Pattaya – shared tuk-tuks are quite easily available and are fixed rate, so no hassle.